Sunday, July 26, 2009

Zooming in

Zooming in on the photograph in the last post, I can identify my Aunt Maureen, Dad, his Mother and Aunt and I think one of his cousins, possibly Dan Costigan. I assume Grandad Maguire must have taken the picture. There is another photo of them at the Bridge and I think their is a much later photo of my Mum at one of the model Houses, taken many years later. The pictures are very small but scanning them in at a high resolution you can see more details. Although most people prefer black and white photography from the past I would love to have some colour pictures as well from the period. Some photographs we have were printed from very poor quality cameras. Some time in the 70's the main camera we had was of the 'Disc' type and the resolution was poor. Some of the colour photographs we have are no match for the quality of the much older 'Brownie' camera. The negative size the brownie made was much bigger than the later colour disc camera. Only now looking back I realise buying cheap cameras were a mistake but again Neither myself or Frank had much money. I think the first camera Frank bought was bought in 'Hector Greys' a famous shop for selling cheap goods. That camera actually produced very good quality black and white photographs. Later colour cameras were not as good. I have many photographs from the 60's and early 70's taken with the cheap black and white special and the quality is superb. that will be for another post.

No comments: